The number of security jobs continues to grow as businesses scramble to hire skilled professionals to protect their business and their assets. Research has shown that over 3 million security jobs were made available this year, and it is expected to grow in the next years. With such a demand, coupled with sizeable paychecks, it is not a wonder that more and more people are considering it as a career option. Read on as we talk about the steps you should take to build a successful security guards career.
- Know if it is right for you. Before you get started on your journey, make sure that it is a good fit. For one, you need passion to be successful in it, so do not just rely on the paycheck. Although there is no formula, the common character traits that make a successful security professional are persistent, analytical, perceptive, and curious. They have an engineering mindset and like to solve problems.
- Narrow down your options. When it comes to security, the focus is now on niche specialists. Picking one specialty will not stop you from moving to another one later on, but it is best to choose one with a buoyant job market that will serve as a cornerstone for your future career development. Search on hot topics and see what practitioners and commentators are seeing as future market trends.
- Focus on self-development. In order to defend something from an attack, you need to know how it works. So before wading too deeply into security matters, you need to understand the technology. Along with numerous websites with free resources, there are also specialist security books and conferences that are usually free and offer a great network opportunity. Social media is also packed with guides and tips that will keep you on track with job opportunities and hot topics.
- Get yourself certified. Although some people believe self-improvement is already enough to start their career, others are still looking for more training and certifications. Many employers value critical thinking, motivation, experience, and self-learning more than certifications, but huge corporations are different. If you want to get hired in this sector, you might want to consider it. You can find a wide range of organizations that offer widely recognized certifications.
- Work hard for the first job. Do not expect your first security job to come easily and quickly. With some luck, social media networking can get you one foot on the ladder. Otherwise, you will find yourself in the job hunter cycle of searching, applying, and repeating. On a positive note, you can find many security job opportunities these days. You just have to be patient and persevere.
- Take advantage of your first job. Develop your soft skills and learn the language of the general corporate worker. Also, take advantage of any training you are offered and ask to attend conferences funded by your employer. Look for a mentor to give you invaluable career advice and assistance in technical challenges. Push yourself to get involved in big projects and never shy away from any challenge.
- Do not stop and stay committed. Building a successful career in security guard is a long-term commitment. As time goes on, you will face responsibilities and challenges, so self-learning becomes more important than ever. Instead of using conferences and social media to widen your knowledge, slowly move to become a contributor. Consider running your own blog to help others. This should help you get a reputation that will help you move forward to get better jobs.
Take these tips to heart and you should have a long and successful security guards career that you enjoy.