A traffic controller security guard is involved in making crucial decisions on how to properly control traffic management, along with a few more activities. This can include situations like planned roadworks, big events, traffic incidents, and new developments. Do you want to become a traffic controller security guard in Melbourne? The process might seem daunting, but you can make it possible. Read on to find out how.
Qualifications to be a Traffic Controller Security Guard in Melbourne
There are usually no set qualifications needed to become a traffic controller security guard. However, you can get useful skills by completing a college course, an apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. Try to explore these routes to find out which one is the right for you. Some of the options come with certain qualification requirements, but many employers are more interested in people who are willing to learn, can follow instructions, and are enthusiastic.
- College or Training Provider. You can attend a training provider or specialist college and start by studying civil engineering to guide you on your journey to being a traffic controller security guard. After you have qualified, you can specialize in traffic safety and control to help you move in this area.
- Apprenticeship. You can train as an apprentice civil engineer to guide you on the road to becoming a traffic controller security guard in Melbourne. Alternatively, you can complete an apprenticeship in town planning with a local authority before moving into traffic management.
- Work. If you already have basic experience, you can directly apply to a construction company to get onsite training and experience as a traffic controller security guard. You can start off as an assistant to a more experienced security guard in Melbourne and progress as you improve your abilities.
- Work experience. Work experience is crucial in getting employment in the construction industry. You can get this at school or by working during weekends and holidays with a company or relative working in the same position. Potential employers are pleased to see work experience listed in the CV.
Important Skills for Becoming a Traffic Controller Security Guard in Melbourne
Additional skills that can benefit anyone who is considering a job as a traffic controller security guard include knowledge of transport methods, benefits, and costs; ability to problem solve and think analytically; good attention to detail; ability to use judgment and make decisions, excellent verbal communication skill; and flexibility and openness to change.
What Does a Traffic Controller Security Guard in Melbourne Do?
A traffic controller security guard is responsible for ensuring the safe and smooth movement of traffic around road incidents, large events, construction projects, and planned roadworks. Their job role can include several duties:
- Make crucial decisions on designing the layout and management of traffic systems
- Predict traffic flow and other potential issues on planned routes
- Handle incidents like road traffic collisions and arrange for the swift removal of debris and other risks.
- Provide visible presence in road traffic incidents
- Keep traffic flow smooth without compromising public safety
- Compile accurate reports
- Undertake continuous improvement by monitoring user experiences and making the necessary changes
- Plan the quickest, safest, and most efficient routes
Career Path and Progression of a Traffic Controller Security Guard in Australia
The expected salary for a traffic controller security guard varies as you become more experienced. Hours and salary will depend on the employer, location, and any overtime you may do. You can develop your talents further and improve them toward becoming a traffic technical officer or a highway engineer by using security guards career guidance.