Preventing injury, violence, illness, and security threats in commercial spaces is one of the most important jobs there is. Being the business owner or manager, a big part of your job is to maintain the safety and security of your employees so they can stay healthy and productive in their work environment. With office security, everyone is safe. There are some things you can do to make sure that your workers are in a safe and secure environment. Here are seven tips to easily strengthen commercial security.
- Ensure that you are following federal and provincial regulations. A workplace should ensure that they are following their local regulations on safety and security in the workplace. This usually includes giving proper training, maintaining the premises, first aid kids and training, posting emergency plans, and having joint health and safety committee. Check with your local government websites to get more information on conforming to these regulations.
- Put a health and safety plan in place. After ensuring that our work conforms to regulations, take it a step further and put up security and safety plans for emergency situations. Educate your workers about these plans and place them in an inaccessible place. Also consider having a security plan in cases of natural disasters, terrorism, workplace violence, and robbery.
- Involve your employees in safety planning. Including your employees in the planning process gives them a sense of responsibility when it comes to safety and security to promote a safe workplace culture. Discuss this topic in workplace meetings, ask for feedback from your employees and see if they have any concerns. Give your employee a way to report their concerns anonymously, because some of them might be uncomfortable talking about a situation directly.
- Maintain the premises and machinery. This is a part of following the federal and provincial regulations in place, but some see this as something that can be taken beyond what is needed. Maintain clean workspaces; perform daily checks of all machinery, including safety and security equipment; and give clear access to first aid stations and exits at all times.
- Educate employees about security and safety. Giving the minimum required training is good, but educating your employees on what should be done if they face a safety or security threat is crucial in preventing loss of property and injury.
- Foster a culture of security and safety. One way to encourage a culture of security and safety is by having a reward program. Reward your employees for reporting threats to security and safety that can lead to loss to the company or worker injury or illness. Ask for volunteers from every department to join your safety and health committee and give security tasks to different workers.
- Install verified security systems. One of the best ways to protect your business and your employees is to install a verified security system. Look for systems that are customizable and scalable to protect your business from break-in, workplace violence, robbery, or another emergency. There are security solutions that can custom design one for you, protecting you from various safety and security threats. Additional features can include fire detection, panic buttons, and 24/7 monitored CCTV, among many others.
Following these 7 steps will greatly help in increasing your workplace security and safety. Consult a reputable security solutions company in your area to learn more about the importance of safety for your employees and business, along with tips on how to strengthen commercial security.
About Security Guards:
Security Guards is a leading security provider in Melbourne that takes pride in protecting the well-being of businesses and customers. They employ well-trained staff and offer excellent customer service.